<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Live wirelessly

Testing the wireless around campus-- works pretty damn good! Had to configure a lot of technical stuff to get it to connect, but it's working all fine now. My university is becoming modern!

Anyway, I'm just now testing the speed by downloading the latest Breezy release-- I'm pulling 1.3MB per second! :o Compare that to the lousy 400KB per second at home...

Update: I just bought me a wireless router too, for at home. Eugenia recommended a LinkSYS to me, but hell, those things don't come cheaper than €129,-! I like spending money, but fcuk that. So, I bought a Sweex, as it said 'Mac Compatible' on the box. It's working mighty fine, got everything encrypted, passwords, the whole nine yards. Really cool, and only €49,99!

Update II: I'm sitting in our backyard now! I can internet while sitting in my backyard! And still a strong signal! And that damn thing is in my room, in the attic! :o
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

3:33 PM, by Anonymous Eugenia

I remember you telling me a few months ago how "wifi sucked" and how "it doesn't work in my house", but I am glad to see that you got it all working now. :)

I got to tell you though, now that you have WiFi all setup, you would want WiFi on your PDA(s) more than Bluetooth. It just works better and it has a much higher range (rather than the 8 meters that most Bluetooth Class2 devices manage you could get up to 60-300 meters or so depending on your router and Wifi card).

Bluetooth is great when connecting to your phone and using GPRS via your phone on your PDA, but when it comes to direct internet connection Wifi is better on a PDA. Faster and more robust. The only good thing Bluetooth has is that it sucks way less power than Wifi. We are talking about 5 to 7 times less power here which equates some times to about 1 more hour of battery life!    



3:48 PM, by Blogger Thom Holwerda

Yeah it's odd-- I guess WiFi has seen some really serious strides forward in say, the last 18 months...

I'm still sitting in the garden, in a long deck-chair, iBook on my lap, Roza (our kitten) on my legs, sun shining...

I can now work on OSNews in the sun. Woohoo!    



» Post a Comment