<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Ubuntu's weakness strikes again...

And again I run into Ubuntu's main weakness...

I bought a TV/Radio tuner card today, a very basic Hauppauge WinTV PCI-FM, and of course it wouldn't work in Ubuntu... The driver loaded perfectly fine, but because Ubuntu has no decent system management tools, there was no other way for me to configure this bitch other than by doing lots of grep's, dmesg's, manual editing and what not. Screw that, I'm not 15 anymore, I nor have the time, nor the will to configure a simple TV card this way.

Really, I wonder where people got the idea that Ubuntu is a "user-friendly" Linux distribution. It's good, don't get me wrong, but user friendly? Without providing sysman tools? Forget it.

So, I'm now installing SuSE again. At least SuSE has YaST.

Update: Okay, this piece of shit is going back to the store. The supplied software (WinTV2000) is so fucking awful... The worst UI I have *ever* seen. I cannot finetune channels as that somehow deletes them. I cannot alter presets. Etc. etc.

What a piece of shit. No wonder Ubuntu didn't want to work with it. UGH.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

8:18 PM, by Anonymous Eugenia

Older Bt848/9 cards are working out of the box with Linux and they are the ones still recommended for Linux/BeOS.

Because TV cards haven't changed much the last 5 years in terms of features (a TV is just a TV) you could have save a bit of money by buying an older second-hand Bt848 model and be sure that it would work (and it would work with Zeta too).

The new cards don't work as easily (I also have a new TV/FM card that doesn't work with Linux at all) with Linux as the V4L development is not flourishing as it used to be circa 2001.

However, if the driver is loaded as you say, then you probably just picking up wrong options and it shouldn't be too hard to have it working.    



8:29 PM, by Blogger Andrew Youll

lol, GNOME's lack of configurability strikes again, come over to the Dark side, embrace KDE...

[star wars style]

[Darth KDE] Thom... Come over to the dark side of the force.... Your Jedi Master "Master GTK+" is too low and will never allow you to reach your full potential

[Thom] KDE I will never join the dark side...

[Darth KDE] Thom... I... Am... Your Father... Th

[Thom] Nooooooooooooooo...

[/stars wars style]    



8:34 PM, by Blogger Andrew Youll

damn it i mean:

" "Master GTK+" is too slow "

not "low"    



8:51 PM, by Anonymous Eugenia

This is not a Gnome issue, it is a distibution issue. Gnome has made a CONSIOUS decision to NOT create panels for hardware that its API is not compatible across all OSes Gnome supports. For example, in this case, a V4L panel would be needed, but FreeBSD does not have this API.

Also, I don't think that KDE would be any better in this particular issue. This is clearly a distro issue.

And to be more bold, this is not even a distro issue in its heart. It is a manufacturer issue. Even a big distro or Windows can't support all 10,000 PC hardware models in the market today. The manufacturer should have created drivers and panels in the first place, if Linux is to be supported.

If not, then Thom did the wrong decision to buy such a piece of hardware for use with Linux in particular. This is obviously a model tested and supported only on Windows.

Hence my advice to only buy old Bt848 cards (circa 1998-9) that are known to be fully compatible with most OSes because their specs were open and *all* OSes have very advanced drivers for them. Sorry Thom, no FM radio in the old cards.    



8:55 PM, by Blogger Andrew Youll

blegh old tv cards, I have a Pinnacle Media Centre 300i DVB-T Card, I can't stand analogue broadcasts.

That said I have a DVB-T Set-top box, with a TV-out and USB port on it, so I could use an old analogue TV-card and just tune it in for the set-top box.

And, I have to poke fun at GNOME it's my juty as a KDE user.... j/k    



8:59 PM, by Blogger Thom Holwerda

Eugenia, I'm not new to the Linux game. I checked if this card was supported on Linux, and trust me, it is. It is even sold in a Belgian online-shop that strictly sells Linux-compatible hardware.

The driver is loaded correctly, YaST2 detected it properly. But, Gnome on SuSE sucks ass. Icons missing, inconstencies, you name it. I don't tolerate that, especialy not in a commercial-grade distro (SuSE Professional 9.3).

I've had enough, once again, of this shit. I'm actually going to install Windows XP. Been a while.    



9:26 PM, by Blogger Andrew Youll

lol... SuSE has always been KDE-centric, I bet KDE support in RHEL sucks ass, same as GNOME support in SEL will suck ass    



9:34 PM, by Blogger Thom Holwerda

I know, but that's no justification to make a mess out of the other big DE. Do it good, or don't do it.

I'm pissed off right now, this again goes to show that Linux is still miles away from the polish of OS X and even Windows. They both have their flaws, but at least they friggin' work for normal people.

It's always the same story with Linux. "It's ready" but yet at simple tasks it still is outshown by the real desktop OS's (Windows and OS X).    



» Post a Comment