<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Perfect

Listening to that re-release of "Jagged Little Pill" made me all worked up over the song "Perfect" again. In this song, Alanis describes the fact that some parents (including her own, the album isn't autobiographical for nothing) push their children to their limits to be, well, you know, perfect. The last bridge and final verse:

I'll live for you
I'll make you what I never was
If you're the best, then maybe so am I
Compared to him compared to her
I'm doing this for your own damn good
You'll make up for what I blew
What's the problem ...... why are you crying

Be a good boy
Push a little farther now
That wasn't fast enough
To make us happy
We'll love you just the way you are
if you're perfect


Now, this song touches me not because my parents are like that (hell no :D), but because a lot of parents at my high school were. As you may or may not know, I've completed the Gymnasium (Dutch equivelant of Latin/Greek school), and even though my Gymnasium (Murmellius Gymnasium in Alkmaar) is one of the most relaxed and down-to-earth schools in the world (loose rules, lots of booze, all-in-all, the time of my life), some parents weren't. The Murmellius is a pretty exclusive school, and I still feel the pitty for all those kids that did not get to enjoy their time there, and were always studying their asses off, afraid of getting anything lower than a 9 (we work on a scale from 1 to 10 here, 10 being best).

So sad.

Luckily I don't give a shit about my grades at all. As long as it's 6 or higher (the mininum) I'm more than happy. :D Anyway, back to working on OSNews again, just finished another cup of them Indonesian coffee, finest coffee ever, really.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

1:11 AM, by Blogger Chris

Kenyan coffee is my favorite though here in the hills, it's hard to find. Check it out, if you haven't.    



1:16 AM, by Blogger Thom Holwerda

Yup, we have Kenyan coffee too-- I don't like the sudden sharp taste it has after you've swallowed it.    



» Post a Comment