<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Mighty mouse

Okay, I bought the Mighty Mouse today (a staggering €59,-), and here is a list of things that annoyed my up to this point:

  • The squeeze buttons suck. You have to squeeze way to hard in order for it to do anything.
  • The scroll ball is really usefull, but positioned just a few millimeters too much south
  • You indeed have to lift your index finger in order to use the right 'button'. However, this doesn't really seem to be a problem, as I already lifted my index finger on other mice too (never knew that)
  • Biggest of them all: APPLE, GIVE US BETTER MOUSE MOVEMENT IN OS X. This has been bothering me from the first day I got a Mac; and it's a problem quite well known. There's something wrong with the way OS X handles movement, because when you want to go from ie. one menu item to the other, the acceleration is way too slow, and you end up clicking the item where you left. Okay, so you try to move a little longer, but then the acceleration kicks in and you end up clicking another wrong item! It is freaking me out! Tried MouseZoom, iMouseFix, nothing helps. Advice, anyone?


  • Please?

    Update: Got it fixed, thanks to USB Overdrive, a handy little application that lets you alter many, many USB related settings, inlcuding mouse acceleration. Why Apple doesn't hire the developer to program this into OS X... Apple is gonna scare a lot of Windows users away with their crappy mouse support.

    Now that I can finally use the Mighty Mouse normally, I can say that it is a good mouse overall, but there are quirks, hence the above, that they really need to fix. I hope they can fix the right-click issue software-wise, else I'm afraid a lot of people aren't gonna like this mouse...

    Worth the €59,-? Only if you have no other mouse, the cost is justified. If you already have a decent mouse, don't bother buying the Mighty Mouse. Nice for Apple fans, but not better than other mice available. Now, my iBook is nagging me that I haven't sync'd my Palm in over seven days, so I'd better do that.
    « Home | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »
    | Next »

    8:27 PM, by Anonymous Eugenia

    Yup, myself and my husband have to use 'USB Overdrive' as well, otherwise acceleration sucks, no matter what you do to the mouse preference panel. In fact, the mouse preference panel only allows you to change speed, not acceleration (these are different things in mouse terminology).    



    11:36 PM, by Blogger Chris

    I tested one of these at the Apple Store and I was roundly unimpressed with it's speed and configurability.    



    » Post a Comment