<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Reviews

I spent some moments digging the web for reviews of Garbage's new album. They all seem to be sort-of positive... I especially liked this passage:

Shirley Manson hasn't lost her power as a vocalist; even when her vocals are distorted or distant, she is still the center of the music. She wails, she purrs, she yells, she murmurs. And it all works.


That must be the best description I've ever heard of my little girl. Even though Shirley probably won't win no awards for vocal perfection, she has a style that at one point strikes fear in you, and makes you think she's a complete bitch, while the other moment her sweetness and 'innocent-ness' makes you all wanna like her again. It's astonoshing. No matter how much I like Garbage, I've never made a secret of the fact that I too believe that the band would be nothing without Shirley. She's the center of this band. Fortunately.

Some negative critiques:

Garbage dips into sweeping rock melodies, ballads and electronic sputters here and there, and those touches keep the electrorock from ever feeling monotonous. But the amps and roaring guitars rule the music, much as they did in 1998's Version 2.0. Not that they are always spot-on -- sometimes those guitars feel like they're soaring to epic heights, but disappointingly they always get reined in at the last minute. The sleazy basslines and sharp percussion keep things moving, though they can't quite make up for the guitars.


Now that I strongly disagree with. It seems as if these so-called music experts are never satisfied. They complained, for no reason, that Beatifulgarbage missed the sharpness of the guitars on their two previous albums, and now Garbage brings back the razorblade riffs and it's again not right! Screw that-- the guitars are this album's strong point in my not so humble opinion.

It's an enjoyable record, but it's hard to escape the nagging feeling that Garbage has painted itself into a corner: they haven't found a way to expand their sound, to make it richer or mature -- they can only deliver more of the same.


Now, it's crap like the above that usually stop my from paying attention to these so-called music magazines with their reviewers. This statement is so full of shit that it pisses me off. If there is ONE band that has NEVER stopped being innovative, then it's Garbage. You may argue that their debut album and Version 2.0 have a lot in common-- but putting all four albums on the same line shows a big lack of understanding of the musical world. Oh wel, these are the same people that laud losers like 50 Cent, Ja Rule and Destiny's Child. People like that shouldn't even be allowed to lay their ears upon the goodness that is Garbage.

Back to what I'm used to do. Back to no more reviews.

I remember Andrew saying something about making a musical equiv. of eXpert Zone... Hmmm.

PS: No offence to people who like 50 Cent & Co. I mean, they make nice catchy music, but it's obviously nothing near as good as the likes of the real men and women of the musical world.

PS 2: All reviewers basically seem to agree upon the fact that the tilesong of the album is of superb quality. Here, the lyrics of 'Bleed Like Me':

Avalanche is sullen and too thin
She starves herself to rid herself of sin
And the kick is so divine when she sees bones beneath her skin
And she says:
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

Chrissie's all dressed up and acting coy
Painted like a brand new Christmas toy
He's trying to figure out if he's a girl or he's a boy
He says:
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

Doodle takes Dad's scissors to her skin
And when she does relief comes setting in
While she hides the scars she's making underneath her pretty clothes
She sings:
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

Therapy is speedie's brand new drug
Dancing with the devil's past has never been too fun
It's better off than trying to take a bullet from a gun
And she cries:
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

JT's get all fucked up in some karaoke bar
After two drinks he's a loser after three drinks he's a star
Getting all nostalgic as he sings "I Will Survive"
Hey baby can you bleed like me?
C'mon baby can you bleed like me

You should see my scars
You should see my scars
You should see my scars
You should see my scars
And try to comprehend that which you'll never comprehend


Chilling.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment