<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Johnny 99

This has been an interesting few days. Yesterday I had my exam on Neuropsychology. Before the test even started, I already accepted the fact that I'd fail. The amount of crap we had to learn was overwhelming, I couldn't handle it, or so I thought. The synposises given by the professor were an utter mess, unreadable and lacking any form of human logic. So I (and Renaat as well) basically said "Fcuk this" and I stopped studying. BUT, the exam was much, much easier than I expected so I might've passed it anyway! As we say in Dutch, "luck is with the foolish."

At Amsterdam Central Station I ran into Guinevere, and we had a nice talk, untill the exam started. Very sweet girl, she is. Interesting to hear about how she freaked out on stage during a Five (one of them boybands) concert when she was 14 :).

---

Another university-related thing is the whole Statistics mess I'm in right now... Basically, because I fail a supporting course in my first year, I'm now totally fcuked... I cannot follow a course that's about to start, and because of not being able to do so, I also cannot start a course in my 3rd year... Fcuking mess. Anyway, I sent a letter explaining my situation, asking for dispensation (also taking into account the situation with my mother that started around the time I had my 3rd possibility to pass Statistics, more about that here). Let's hope for the best.

---



And lastly, I bought two new albums today, I bought The Rising and Nebraska, both by Bruce Springsteen. Especially the latter... Nebraska is the most depressing album ever made, no doubt about that. The shit that happens on that album is so depressing... But it's sung in such a beautiful way, just amazing. It's true American music, you don't find this sort of music anywhere else than in that 'hard land', as Bruce himself calls it.

What also makes the album special is that it has been recorded using nothing more than a simple 4-track cassette recorder. This gives the whole album a very pure, unedited, raw sound. Too bad people use all sorts of advanced recording crap these days. I already had Nebraska on LP, but I'm always scared that my LPs die, so I try to replace the more used ones by CDs. Here's one song from the album, "Johnny 99":

Well they closed down the auto plant in Mahwah late that month
Ralph went out lookin' for a job but he couldn't find none
He came home too drunk from mixin' Tanqueray and wine
He got a gun shot a night clerk now they call 'm Johnny 99

Down in the part of town where when you hit a red light you don't stop
Johnny's wavin' his gun around and threatenin' to blow his top
When an off duty cop snuck up on him from behind
Out in front of the Club Tip Top they slapped the cuffs on Johnny 99

Well the city supplied a public defender but the judge was Mean John Brown
He came into the courtroom and stared young Johnny down
Well the evidence is clear gonna let the sentence son fit the crime
Prison for 98 and a year and we'll call it even Johnny 99

A fistfight broke out in the courtroom they had to drag Johnny's girl away
His mama stood up and shouted "Judge don't take my boy this way"
Well son you got a statement you'd like to make
Before the bailiff comes to forever take you away

Now judge judge I had debts no honest man could pay
The bank was holdin' my mortgage and they was takin' my house away
Now I ain't sayin' that makes me an innocent man
But it was more 'n all this that put that gun in my hand

Well your honor I do believe I'd be better off dead
And if you can take a man's life for the thoughts that's in his head
Then won't you sit back in that chair and think it over judge one more time
And let 'em shave off my hair and put me on that execution line


Chilling.

Bruce's newest album will be released early May this year. The single "Devils And Dust" is already on the radio. This song clearly shows Bruce is going back to his roots. Which is a good thing.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment