<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

Gnome (+ KDE!)

Update: It seems like the KDE developers feel the same way about this...

Amazing. I guess in order to see OSS software really make a dent in MS' marketshare, it needs new developers. Developers that are open to user feedback and not so, sorry to say, arrogant.

Yes, it's Thom Holwerda calling someone else arrogant. Never thought that day would come.

---

I've gotten a lot of feedback on my editorial I put up yesterday at eXp Zone. The article got linked to on OSNews, and as an ultimate "reward", Slashdot linked to us-- momentarily flooding eXp Zone.But first things first: thanks for all the people supporting my views!

Anyhow.

Two days ago, Eugenia, published this editorial on OSNews. I agreed with her. The fact that she may have "over-reacted" a bit on the desktop-devel-list is not really of my concern. The person behind an opinion and his or her temper is of no relevance. And other than that-- it's no secret that Eugenia can be passionate about her opinions every now and then-- welcome to Europe, my American friends ;).

Anyhow, I backed her up with my editorial-- basically stating the same as Eugenia but in a less direct fashion. I will not clarify myself or anything here; my editorial speaks for itself and is perfectly clear to most people-- not all though. I could list a lot more :).

Well, luckily some of the Gnome devs replied as well, ie. Havoc, Elijah and Shaun. Shaun, if you read this, please read the postscript on this post. For some more reactions, go to to Planet Gnome.

---

I'm not sure if the goal I had before me when writing this editorial is hereby reached-- or if it ever will. All I wanted to say was that Gnome cannot afford to develop solely catering the needs of the developers themselves. Gnome is a project of great succes-- adopted by many companies and users worldwide. If you state you listen to those users, but in fact don't (and admit that!), then that's not fair. I hope this whole thing shook the Gnome-devs a bit-- let's hope they will listen to user-feedback more now, making Gnome even better than it already is.

---

PS: There is one comment of mine on OSNews that I'd like to apologize for. This comment was rude and highly inflammatory. My apologies.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

3:11 PM, by Blogger unixlinux

Nice KDE rlated blog. Visit my control kde blog.    



» Post a Comment