<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9152441\x26blogName\x3dCogs+can+think.\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thom-holwerda.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2507670256471114478', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Cogs can think.

I'm a mere, tiny, insignificant cog in a whole clockwork of stupidity.
The little cog that wanted to break free, I am.

iMac Dead?



A lot of thanks to the retards over at the Apple Store Uitgeest. Those morons came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with my iMac's hardware "after testing it for three days". Can they then please explain to me how the hell I could conclude that my hardware IS screwed, in under two hours??

My iMac began showing the familiar symptoms again: screen remnants, short green lines around my pointer, and in the end: complete screen freeze. OS X was still chugging along; I even shutdown OSX by guessing the Apple menu and the shutdown entry.

I then installed Ubuntu-PPC. Quickly, I found out that there definitely is something wrong with my friggin' 1400E iMac: during some kernel output my entire screen got covered in vertical one-pixel wide lines... And later in use Ubuntu would show the same symptoms as OS X...

In summation: the "experts" at the Apple Store can go to hell. I need a new logic board, or maybe a new videocard. Real nice, if it were not for the fact that a new logic board alone costs 400E! Damn...
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

7:59 PM, by Anonymous Anonymous

Could it be heat problems?

I know that when graphic cards start showing signs like that it ususally means that the GPU is overheating.

Try to open the case up and run it open with a fan going in the room. See if it happens again. Maybe the fan on the GPU is dead?

Patrick Weber    



8:27 PM, by Blogger Thom Holwerda

It ain't the heat-- also suspected that, but it ain't. Trust me.    



» Post a Comment